Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Christmas progress report: Quick Triangles baby quilt

I am crossing projects of my Christmas crafting list and this makes me happy. I am also happy because this is the first quilt I have ever completed. I pieced it, quilted it and bound it on my machine, and while I could do with a little more practice, I am happy with the finish.

I found this free quilt pattern via Pinterest and decided to sew it for my nephew's Christmas gift. It uses 8" half square triangles which were fast and easy to make. I had spotted some cute fat quarters in a range called Shipyard by Timeless Treasures and when the FQ bundle went on sale at Quiltmehappy, I snapped it up. The solid colours are textural linen-look, also by Timeless treasures, I think they were from the "Fruit punch" range which also coordinates with Shipyard. I used a plain white for the sashing and backing, and some of the sky blue linen-look cotton for the binding. I used Quilters Dream Cotton batting in the Select weight.

The finished quilt measures 38" x 53", it is "crib size". I think of a crib as being quite small, but this actually fit pretty nicely over my kid's toddler bed too, so hopefully my just-turned-1-year-old nephew will get some use out of it, either on his bed or for snuggling on the sofa.

I did straight line quilting using my walking foot, stitching along the diagonals and the horizontals of the triangles. I haven't tried free motion quilting yet so I couldn't decide how to quilt the white sashing. In the end I did straight lines going around and around the quilt. I did get a bit bored at this stage, but I do love how the closely quilted lines have made this bit extra crinkly, like a real vintage quilt.
 So, one gift completed, washed and ready to be wrapped! It feels good to have this ready to go.

1 comment:

  1. It's gorgeous, well done on completing your first quilt and ticking another thing off of your Christmas list!

    ReplyDelete