Sunday, May 18, 2014

MyImage and B*Inspired magazines

Gorgeous sunny weather hits for a whole 24 hours and my thoughts instantly go to summer sewing. I've spent the last few weeks digging weeds in the garden and attempting to make it nice for summer so I think I need some sewing time now.

 I recently got a piece of lightweight viscose knit from Minerva crafts. I bought it for another Deer and Doe Plantain tee however the print is so large that it really needs to be sewn into a summer dress, but I cannot pick a pattern. At first I thought of the popular McCalls 6559 maxi dress but then I received a copy of the latest MyImage pattern magazine. There's a couple of cute dresses in the issue, including a maxi dress with a bit more waist definition than the McCalls and a cowl neck faux wrap dress. I also really like the trousers and the princess seamed collarless coat.


You can browse the mag preview here or check out the outline drawings here. I have never sewn a MyImage pattern before - their pattern sheets looks less scary than Burda but their written instructions (which are in English, French, German and Dutch) look just as minimal.

At the same time as I got MyImage, I also got B*Inspired by Poppy - a kid's pattern magazine. This one is totally new to me, I'd never even heard of it before. The instructions are in 5 languages (all of the above, plus Spanish). The pattern sheet and instructions look really similar to MyImage. The kids' garment patterns are really cute with lots of little design features but there's also a few crafty patterns like bags, bunting, a floor cushion and even a teepee! I haven't sewn one of these pattern either, so perhaps I should start with something simple to see what the drafting is like?

My one gripe with both magazines is that you have to check carefully to see if the pattern you like is available in your size. With MyImage, the regular range starts at 34 or 36 or 38 and goes to 44 or 46 or 48. There are also 3 plus size patterns included going from size 46-56.

With B*Inspired by Poppy, there are 2 designs for kids sizes 56-86, 3 for sizes 80-140, 3 for sizes 92-152, 2 for sizes 104-164, 2 for sizes 116-176 and 1 for sizes 128-176.

Both mags offer a decent size range (i.e. from kid's size 56 which is newborn, upto kids 176 which is approx age 13) and there is plenty of overlap but if you have your heart set on one particular design it's definitely important to check it comes in the size you want.

I sense a trip to the shop for tracing paper come Monday. Enjoy your weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Very exciting when nice weather arrives isn't it! I really like the cowl dress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in my summer sewing mode now too, and am hoping that the weather is not going to make another u-turn to dampen our spirits!

    ReplyDelete